Monday, January 9, 2012

How to make a simple chain and stone necklace.



I recently picked up some really nice dragon vain agate and sea sediment jasper, I was going to make some crazy necklace or bracelet but they were so nice by themselves that I wanted to just do a simple necklace. I also thought I'd share how to make such a simple necklace that only takes a few minutes to make!

What you need:wire cutters

  •  round & flat jewelry pliers
  • wire cutters
  • beads or pearls
  • length of chain
  • 24 or 25g wire
  • clasp & jump rings 
*The chain I used has open links, if the chain you are going to use does not have open links wrap the loops you made on the chain as you make them. 
A few things you will need.
 I went with the gold tone brass but will make the other stones 
with the sterling silver from the pictures later.
Start by threading the wire in the bead.
You can cut the size of wire before you start but I like to cut
as I go so I don't waste any wire and to make sure I have enough.
Use the needle nose pliers to make a circle.
 Leave extra on the end so you can wrap the wire around, if 
there is a snag on the necklace it will be harder for the wire to 
become undone if wrapped around a few times.
Use you needle nose pliers to round out the loop you made.

Also press down all any wire sticking up so it doesn't scratch
you while you wear the necklace. I like to make sure the wire it 
tight enough to fit in the drilled hole on the stone.
One side down.

I wrapped the wire 1.5 times.
Cut the wire.
 I measured 2 finger width, it gave me more then enough
room to work with.
Wrap around again and press the wrap tightly with flat pliers.
Wrap around the same numbers of times & round off the
loop again.
Cut off the extra wire.
Press down the little bit that you couldn't cut off.
If it is a tight fit the wrapping should hide in the stone.
It's fine if the wrapping shows, make sure that you did the
same number of wraps just in case it does show.
Next, start on adding the chain.
The chain I used links aren't soldered so I can
just open the links to add it to the stone.
Lightly and slowly open a link.
Don't twist too hard when you open the links. It will made the
weak and easy to break later if not gently opened.
Slip one loop on the open link.

With the flat pliers close the link shut tightly. Use can
use a little jewelers glue also to keep it closed.
One side done.
 Do the same to the other side.
Have your clasp ready.
I have 2 different styles to the ones I made today
Measure the chain to the size you want.
 The one pictured is 17.5 inches long.
Open a link like before.
 Slip a jump ring one end and the clasp on the other.
Close all links tight and try it on to see if it need any adjustments.
That's it! You're done! I will probably be making more of this necklace next week with different stones and metals and listing them in my Etsy shop. Stop by if you'd like one!
Sea sediment jasper gold tone brass necklace. 17" long.
 I love how this one came out!
Dragon vain agate gold tone brass necklace. 17.5" long.
 I made this one a little longer because the stone is wider.
Thanks for looking, let me know if you give it a shot!
Or if you have any questions!

*** Update***
I made some with silver chain!

I added a small charm!
 The jasper on the silver necklaces are off centered so the
charm hangs in the middle. I also added faceted new jade
to the sides of the jasper.

It looks great on!

I added faceted pink cherry quartz to the sides of the jasper.



6 comments:

  1. Wonderful tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a agreat tutorial for a DIY kind of jewelry. Thank you so much for sharing this one. Wish I could see more of this on your blog.
    artisan designer jewelry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed it! I am working on more like this & just posted one on earrings the other day. I am going to try to have another jewelry tutorial up later this week too... maybe a nail art one also :)

      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  3. did the stones already come with holes in them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These did not, you can read how I drill here http://akniegirl.blogspot.com/2012/05/simple-diy-drilled-stone-pendants.html

      Delete