Thursday, October 18, 2012

A very yummy beef roast recipe.

 The one day of cold weather we had Southern California last week has made my stew and roast hunger start. I make light chicken soups in the summer and heavy beefy stews in the colder months. Anyway, although California has changed it's mind and went back to summer weather I have started the first of many roast for this year. 

This is the man that has started it all. 
My grandpa, he made it this way and showed my ma and she showed me. Pretty much any roast or stew Mr. John Flood made was not right unless it has brown gravy, potatoes, and onions. That man was crazy about onions too, my ma use to tell me that after the war he would eat onions like apples almost everyday. I do that with garlic but an onion is a little too much for me!

So, here is how you make this lovely homemade roast and or stew.
This services 4-6 people depending on the serving size. 
You will need for the roast
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 (2-3-pound) boneless chuck roast
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 chopped onions
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 (14-ounce) can beef or veggie broth- we have always used Swanson
2 oz tomato sauce
2 tbsp brown gravy
1 bay leaf
4 large carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
3 medium or 4 large potatoes
1-2 cups of fresh petite green beans
Add any other veggies you want, I like to add cabbage... to everything.
If stew double the broth, pepper, tomato sauce, gravy, bay leaf, and add about a tsp of cumin, some water, and whatever veggies you want. I always add cabbage and cauliflower and sometime I add a tsp or two of cayenne pepper.

The beef!
I marinade it over night in some veggie broth, pinch of salt and pepper & some garlic power.

Preheat oven to 325º.
Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chuck roast with salt and pepper. Add roast to pan; cook 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove roast from pan. Add onion to pan; sauté 8 minutes or until tender.
Place browned roast in your baking dish. Add all of your goodies to your dish and bake at 325° for 2.5 hours or until the roast is almost tender.
Remove bay leaf from dish.
 Yummy!
Shred meat with 2 forks. Serve roast with vegetable mixture and cooking liquid. 
If it is stew just put everything in a pot and cook for a few hours. I cook it until the cauliflower has become one with the broth because my fiance hates cauliflower.
Enjoy!


Check out my giveaway!

No comments:

Post a Comment