Sunday, April 1, 2012

Holiday Pineapple Apricot Glazed Ham

My family has never been very big on ham so my mom only made it once a year. I always loved Easter because I love ham and that was when she made it. My mother taught me how to make this glaze when I was about 12 and her father taught her. When I was 16 I took over the holiday cooking and have been making the ham this way ever since. Sadly, this year I will be the changing the recipe. I am allergic to pineapple and if I only had a little before it wasn't too bad but now even a little kills me. So this year I will be doing an apricot only glaze, goodbye sweet pineapple. I hope it comes out alright.

Enjoy!


Pineapples and apricot add a sweetness that complements the salty flavor of the ham.

SERVES: 8-10

INGREDIENTS:
5-7 pound ham
1/2 cup cloves
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 can (16 oz.) apricot pineapple preserves
1/3 cup yellow mustard
1 can (20 oz.) sliced pineapple (rings)

INSTRUCTIONS:

Rinse the ham with cold water then pat dry with a paper towel. Using a sharp knife make surface cuts in the shape of a 2-inch X all over the ham. Place 1 clove in the intersection of each X.

Place individual rings of pineapple on the ham, using more cloves to secure the pineapple.

Place the ham in a large roaster pan. Cover the pan, place in the oven, and bake for 1 1/2 hours at 350F degrees.

In a mixing bowl, add the sugar, mustard and preserves. Stir until the glaze is mixed well. You can start with 1/2 a cup of sugar or add more mustard if you'd like. Play with it till you like it best. 

Uncover the ham and pour the mix on top. Cook for 30 minutes more, occasionally basting with the mix to form a sweet glaze.

Prepare the ham for serving by removing the pineapples and the cloves. Discard the cloves. Serve each slice of ham with 1 pineapple ring and some glaze.

Enjoy the glaze, the ham and the pineapple!
Happy holidays!
Check out my other Easter post!



No comments:

Post a Comment