Tuesday, May 29, 2012

DIY Diamond Nail Effect.

Someone told me I should try those Nail Effects press on sticker things. They said it was faster then doing the design and then waiting for it to dry so I thought I'd give it a try. 
I went with the Sally Hansen Misbehaved
via SallyHansen.com

 I really liked the design and the color (my boyfriend did too) but I have very small nail beds so it took me a while to size them to fit or maybe it was because it was the first time I'd use the stickers and don't know all the tricks to size them. Either way I did not have fun applying them & they didn't look that great. I added a top coat and they looked so much better, actually they looked pretty awesome after. 
I like doing my nail while doing my nails so these took away from that & because the sizes are way off for me it did not save on time. Over all I would try these again but only if I saw they were on sale or the design was too awesome to pass up.
 I did really enjoy the design though so I thought I'd do it myself.

Here's what you'll need: A top coat (I use Sally Hansen Dries Instantly, dries in about 30 second), feature colors for your diamonds, a base color, and nail tape. If you don't have nail tape you can just cut thin pieces of any tape but for cleaner lines I would suggest getting some.
First, prep for your manicure, to make it last longer. Remove your old polish, if any, and soak your hands in warm water for a few minutes. Trim your nails and push back your cuticles but don't cut them. Do not use lotions or oils on your hands before you start, it may make the dry time longer.
 Apply your base coat.
 After the base coat is completely dry add a few strips diagonally. Depending on the size of the diamonds you want you may want to add more or less. Space them out as evenly as you can.
 Do the same with the same in the other direction. Press down and smooth out all over the nail.
 Apply the featured color. I went with one coat but you may want to add more depending on what 
color you go with.
 Let the top coat dry completely. Try running cold water over your wet nail to help it dry faster. 
 Start with the last strip of tape and pull straight down from where it starts. Continue until you have taken the first piece off.
Nice clean lines :)
Apply one or two coats of you top coat. I went with two coats to cover the texture of the diamonds.
All done!


No comments:

Post a Comment